From: Michael B. Parker
Sent: Tuesday, May 11, 1999 3:10 PM
To: TheReformer
Subject: Your "Joseph Smith and Mormonism" web page

Dear Mr. Scott,

Against my better judgment, I'm writing to you to point out some ... what should I call them? ... "problems" with your website on the Latter-day Saint church (http://www.inficad.com/~thereformer/Mormonism.html).

I seem to have gotten the idea from your main page that you are a Christian, and, as such, believe in the Bible as the word of God -- and perhaps even infallible.

If so, perhaps you could resolve this problem for me. On your "Mormonism" page you criticize the Book of Mormon for the following:

a) "...than the children of the married wife" (3 Nephi 22:1). Tell me, have you ever known a married woman who wasn't a wife or a wife who wasn't married? And this is supposed to be from God!

and

e) The Book of Mormon has Jerusalem shaking herself, arising, sitting down, and loosening herself, all in the same command. "Shake thyself from the dust; arise, sit down, O Jerusalem; loose thyself from the bands of thy neck" (3 Nephi 20:37).

This may be difficult to hear, Mr. Scott, but both of these verses of which you are so critical are actually quotations from the Bible. The first is from Isaiah 54:1; the second is Isaiah 52:2.

In the future I would suggest that you check your facts first, Mr. Scott. This will prevent you from making an ass out of yourself again.

In Truth and Christ,

Mike Parker

Back Next